Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Social Media

As I have been running a Ning site for Community Land Trusts, I have become interested in the possibilities of social media. However, the more I find out, the more I realise how much time needs to be dedicated to constant monitoring and nurturing of networking sites such as Ning. Almost like having a baby! I realised i had a lot to learn, so put myself on a workshop run by David Wilcox of Social Reporter.




Here you can see a photo of me at the workshop (I am looking at the floor, concentrating deeply!). I can see there is lots to learn, but I can also see there are entries points for almost everyone here. There is so much potential here for local social activisim to be played out online, especially when there is a need to communicate amongst a wide network of people. The good news is a lot of it is free, open access, and could provide a voice for the excluded. The bad news is that… you guessed it, the socially excluded are also the same people who are digitally excluded! ie - no access to computers, or training.

I believe anyone could easily learn and benefit from engaging in these new ’social technologies’ – they just need a little support and encouragement. (as in look, it’s quite easy really!) That’s why I hope to run a workshop soon for the people who are using the Ning site for Community Land Trusts to show how they can get engaged. The first barrier will be persuading them to show up!
David Wilcox has made his book, Social by Social, available for free online. Next thing will be to have a look at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment